How to Record Audio from Browser Easily (Chrome& Firefox Audio Recorder)
Download Screen Recorder For FREE！
There are times when you may want to save audio from web browsers like Chrome, Safari, Firefox or other web browsers to your computer. The audio file can be some catchy or upbeat background music, an interesting interview, an audiobook that is not downloadable, or virtually everything you’re watching or listening to from your browser.
Obviously, the most convenient way is to record the browser audio with a professional screen recorder. In the following, we will show you how to use a browser audio recorder to grab audio from any web page. Additionally, we’ve found great browser extensions that have the ability to capture audio from any tab if you are not inclined to install a desktop program.
Best Browser Audio Recorder for Chrome Audio Capture
The desktop program you can take advantage of is VideoSolo Screen Recorder . It is a powerful desktop Chrome/browser audio recorder that can record all the audio from the browser including live streaming music, live radios, online courses or other audios from the Internet with nifty features:
- Lossless sound quality;
- Multiple output formats (MP3, AAC, M4A, and WMA);
- Volume adjustment before/when recording browser audio;
- Recording schedule (start and/or stop recording automatically);
- Recording trimming;
- Hardware acceleration.
If your computer has a good performance, VideoSolo will provide a much more satisfying experience comparing using Google extensions. You may read the following guide to learn how to record audio from a browser such as Chrome and develop a better understanding of VideoSolo Screen Recorder.
VideoSolo Screen Recorder
High-performance and multifunctional screen recorder that records video & audio activities on your computer in high quality.
- Capture any areas of your computer screen in HD quality.
- Record all types of audios to MP3/AAC/M4A/WMA.
- Marvelous editing features to help you record better.
- Advanced recording features to fit your using habits.
Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP/Mac OS X 10.7 or above
Step 1. Enable the "Audio Recorder" Option for Recording Audio
VideoSolo is fully compatible with both Windows and Mac computers. Click the download button above to download and launch it. In the main interface, here is suggested to select “Audio Recorder” to record browser audio.
Step 2. Adjust the System Sound and Output Settings
• Adjust the system sound. You can adjust system sound in your operating system, or you can toggle on the slide bar directly to change the sound volume from the Audio Recorder. Also, start a soundcheck by clicking the gear icon. The Preference window will be opened. And then, select the Sound tab and open Start sound check. It is advised to turn off other software’s audio so that the effect won’t be affected.
If you only want to record the web browser sound, but do not want to record the sound of yourself and the external environment, just remember to turn off the button of “Microphone”.
• Select an output format. The default audio recording format is MP3 which is a very common audio format. But if you want to change, you can click on the gear icon and go to the sound tab. There are WMA, M4A and AAC format optional. If you can’t decide on which audio format to choose, you can jump to part 3 to know about their differences.
•Pick the output quality. The default output quality is “High”, you can set up a higher quality recording that meets your requirements. This software also offers a lossless option so as to give you the perfect browser audio recording experience and a high-quality output result.
Step 3. Press "REC" and Mark Down the Hotkey if You Hide the Float Bar
• Press “REC”. A pop-up box may appear to remind you that you can use hotkeys to control the record. It is also recommended to mark down your preset hotkeys on a note. And if you have previously set hide float bar while recording but forgot the hotkey to enable the floating bar, don’t worry, you can still find the program from the system’s taskbar. Double-click the icon, or right-click it to show the main interface, the floating bar will come out again.
• Click “OK” in the pop-up box and the audio recording process will be started within three seconds. Then start playing the browser audio you want to record. The volume is also adjustable during recording.
Step 4. Trim and Save the Browser Audio
After finishing recording audio on your Chrome browser, you can preview & trim the recording according to your need and then save it to your computer. It is also highlighted that all audio recordings will be automatically saved even if you accidentally exit the recording process. Now you can conveniently listen to your browser’s audio recordings on your Mac/Windows computer.
Don’t you think utilizing this program to record browser audio is very efficient and convenient? It’s simple to use but the function is very powerful. And that’s exactly what a good browser audio recording program should be like.
Use Browser Extension to Capture Audio on Chrome/Firefox
VideoSolo Screen Recorder is compatible with all browsers. But still, if you are a person using Chrome or Firefox, you may want to try browser extension first. Let’s see what they get.
|VideoSolo Screen Recorder||Chrome Audio Capture||Screencastify||Audio Recorder|
|Output format||MP3, AAC, M4A, WMA||MP3, MAV||MP3||WEBM|
|Stable long Recording||√||x||x||x|
|Custom recording schedule||√||x||x||x|
Extension for Chrome: Chrome Audio Capture /Screencastify
Chrome Audio Capture
The first good choice on Chrome is Chrome Audio Capture. The official introduction said that it can capture any audio playing on the current tab. Better still, multiple tabs can be captured simultaneously. Also, you have the option that can mute tabs that are currently being captured. The audio will be saved as either MP3 or WAV audio files.
Yet, you can’t record segments that are longer than 20 mins with this Chrome Audio Capture. When you capture over 20 mins, the file could be silent during playback. Worse, the audio quality is not so good compared to other browser audio recorders. To record a long audio with high quality, using VideoSlo Screen Recorder will never disappoint you.
Another popular Chrome browser extension to record audio from web pages is Screencastify. The browser extension supports desktop, browser tab, and webcam capture. In addition, the handy Screencastify provides some basic editing features that enable you to trim the start and end of your videos, merge, or cut your recordings. The most amazing part is that Screencastify can work with Google Drive to boost your productivity. After creating a recording, you can upload the audio or video to Google Drive and create a sharable Drive link.
However, its free plan can let users get unlimited recordings and each can be lasted for up to 5 minutes. Therefore, if most of your needs are to record short audio or music from websites, Screencastify can handle it easily.
Extension for Firefox: Live Recorder
You may choose Live Recorder to record your browser audio on Firefox with a longer length than Screencastify and Chrome Audio Capture.
Nevertheless, you need to start playing the audio then you can start this extension. And the output format of Live Recorder is a video with format WEBM and large size which needs to be converted to MP3 first so that you can play the audio freely.
How to Record Browser Audio with Chrome or Firefox Extensions?
All extensions are with similar download process and icon position after being added successfully. Here is the simple guides
Step 1. Click the link in the extension introduction part to the browser extension webpages to download them directly.
(Or go to the Web Store of the browser and search Chrome Audio Capture / Screencastify on Google, or Audio Recorder on Firefox.)
Step 2. Click “Add to Chrome/Firefox” to download and install this extension on your browser.
Step 3. Find and click this extension in the upper right corner on Chrome or Firefox.
Step 4. Click the start button to start recording your Firefox’s or Chrome’s sound.
Step 5. When finishing recording, click “Save Capture” to save the recording audio onto your computer.
Extra Tips – How to Select the Optimal Audio Format for Output?
When it comes to choosing the best audio format for your audio file, there is much left to be discussed. In general, audio formats can be divided into these 3 types: lossy formats, lossless formats and uncompressed formats. To help you get the best quality of your audio recordings, VideoSolo Screen Recorder provides 4 audio formats for users to choose from, namely MP3, AAC, M4A, and WMA. They mainly employ lossy compression but are able to deliver decent sound quality. Then, we will clarify these four audio formats here for your reference.
- MP3 – Standing for MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, MP3 is the most popular and common audio format. It’s compatible with almost all digital devices. It belongs to the kind of Lossy compression audio format. It means it sacrifices sound quality and audio fidelity for smaller file sizes. But when it’s done well, you may not hear the difference.
- AAC – Advanced Audio Coding, also known as MPEG-4 AAC, is a kind of lossy and compressed audio format but sounds generally better than MP3. Usually, a 256kbps AAC sounds better than a 320kbps MP3. It’s used for Apple Music streaming, iTunes, YouTube, etc.
- M4A – It is a file extension for an audio file encoded with AAC which is a lossy compression. Compared to MP3, M4A has better quality and smaller file size but is not so compatible. It is a proprietary file format of Apple.
- WMA – This format stands for Windows Media Audio. It’s a lossless audio format but no longer well-supported by smartphones or tablets. If you want to listen to your browser audio in hi-fidelity, WMA may meet your need.
Basically, we recommend MP3 as the format container when it comes to recording music or long interviews from your web browser because it enjoys widely-used compatibility and creates a smaller file size. But if you care about sound quality, formats such as M4A and AAC are also popular and their compression won’t cause much loss in quality. Therefore, details in the audio can be well kept.
All in all, recording browser audio is not a difficult task as long as you get a powerful Chrome audio recorder like VideoSolo Screen Recorder . Browser extensions such as Chrome Audio capture are also reliable tools for recording audio from web tabs. Hope this article can really help you!